Friday 23 June 2017

Albums To Get You Through A Sick Day

The last couple of days have been miserable. I’ve been holed up in my cosy living room with a serious case of the sniffles and a healthy dose of self pity. Thankfully, I have music to get me through these tough (and snotty) times, and so I’m sharing with you my sick day soundtrack.


Betty Davis 'The Columbia Years 1968-1969'


Nothing lifts my spirits like some classic funk and this album fits the bill perfectly. Released in 2016, this is mostly previously unreleased material that sees Davis working with the likes of Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, members of Jimi Hendrix’s band and others. Davis is considered to be one of the most influential funk artists well ahead of her time. Just be careful this one doesn’t get you moving so much, you end up in a coughing fit.

Monster Magnet 'Dopes To Infinity'


Often when I find myself less than effervescent, I turn to the tried and true psychedelic, space rock overlords, Monster Magnet. ‘Dopes to Infinity’ was their 1995 breakthrough album with their first hit single ‘Negasonic Teenage Warhead.’ I remember watching the video clip on Rage when I was fifteen and thinking it was freaking cool. I don’t know what it is exactly about Monster Magnet that makes me feel so good, but I figure it’s best not to dwell on it.


Queen 'A Kind Of Magic'


Okay, this one is a no-brainer. If listening to Queen doesn’t make you feel better, I’m afraid nothing can. Queen are so epic and uplifting. Freddie Mercury, with his mind blowing voice, plucks at my heartstrings just like an angel on a harp (rest in peace, dear Freddie). There are so many good songs on this album, but ‘Friends Will Be Friends’ is one of my favourites.


Madonna 'The Immaculate Collection'


All of my favourite Madonna songs on one album? Yes please! I love this album, it makes me so happy, I almost forget I can’t breathe through my nose. From ‘Holiday’ to ‘Into The Groove,’ ‘Open Your Heart’ and ‘Express Yourself,’ this album encompasses all of the feels of my childhood. I was a hardcore Madonna fan before I hit my teens. Now, excuse me while I vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment