Monday 16 April 2018

April Playlist

I was super excited when I found out The Mavis's, a beloved band from my adolescence, are doing a 20th anniversary tour for their album Pink Pills. It's been twenty years already?? Bloody hell!! I remember the first time I heard The Mavis's. A high school friend made me a mix tape with the song 'Moon Drone Gold' on it, from their 1996 debut album Venus Returning. I loved it so hard, I went and laid down thirty of my hard earned bucks for the CD (remember when CD's cost $30?)

While I was revisting the most excellent music of the Mavis's, I started thinking about all the other Aussie bands I was getting into back in the days when I was just discovering that for me, life without music is really no life at all. And that's what inspired the Roxy talks Music April playlist. These are the bands I went to see play at festivals and all ages gigs at mechanics halls. These are the bands I moshed and crowd surfed to. These are the songs of my youth. 

*It's worth noting that Headless Chickens are actually a New Zealand band, but as they are the first band I ever saw live (they opened for Arrested Development at Festival Hall, Melbourne in 1992) I decided to include them. Also, they were really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment