Monday 24 July 2017

Songs To Raise Your Kids To

Anybody who knows me knows that I’m passionate about music. It colours every aspect of my life, informs who I am and influences many of my life philosophies. So it only stands to reason that when it comes to parenting, I look to music to help me with the hardest job I will probably ever have, and definitely the one I have the most anxiety about screwing up.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who does it, but when it comes to teaching my daughter a life lesson, imparting guidance, expressing a directive or just making a point; both my husband and I have been known to look to Mick Jagger or Kenny Rogers to give us a hand. If you think that we shouldn’t be trusting something so important to Mick Jagger, you might be right, but it seems to be working so far. So here I share with you some of the most referenced songs in my household to help with parenting.

Moving Pictures’ ‘What About Me?’ (1982)


First recorded by Australian rock band, Moving Pictures for their album ‘Days of Innocence’, 'What About Me?' was the second highest selling single of 1982. It’s the perfect song for pointing out when your child is being selfish, and I’m sure it is regularly sung to children by their parents. I don’t seem to pull it out so much nowadays, but I did when my daughter was little, and it still remains a tried and true favourite. I usually belt this one out at the top of my lungs and throw in some wild gesticulations for an overly dramatic effect. My daughter used to hate it, which was a good indication that she got the message loud and clear.

Eric Carmen’s ‘All By Myself’ (1975)


Eric Carmen’s hugely successful power ballad was released in 1975 on his first solo LP after leaving the power pop group, The Raspberries. 'All By Myself' is another really good song to sing to little kids, especially when you can’t even get just a few minutes to yourself to go to the toilet. Although it wasn’t always effective (sometimes instead of leaving me alone, my daughter would cling to me tighter), much like ‘What About Me?’ it’s really fun to lay on the drama when you sing it. I also happen to think it’s a really beautiful song.

The Rolling Stones’ ‘You Can't Always Get What You Want’ (1969)


A classic hit from the Rolling Stones’ 1969 album ‘Let It Bleed’, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' has been named the 100th greatest song of all time by ‘Rolling Stone’ magazine. It’s also, hands down, the best ‘no’ song ever. It’s a staple in our house. We usually start out singing it and end up playing it really loud on the stereo, while joyously dancing around the house. It’s great, because it can turn a potentially excruciating conversation into a super fun dance party! Most of the time, it’ll only serve as a momentary distraction from your kid’s initial ask. But if you can lighten the mood while upholding that ‘no,’ then your chances of avoiding a tearful and/or screaming episode greatly increase.

Kenny Rogers’ ‘The Gambler’ (1978)


Now, you might be thinking ‘hold on, isn’t 'The Gambler' a song about gambling?’ Well, yes it is, but not in my house. That’s the great thing about a good song; you can re-appropriate the meaning to fit your need. In my house, ‘you got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em...’ means recognise when you’re pushing something too far (like tickling, or roughhousing) and back off. Rogers’ 1978 hit, which he performed on ‘The Muppet Show’ in 1979 is so catchy it hurts, and even though my daughter will insist it is ‘lame,’ I’ve caught her singing it to herself more than once or twice.

Weezer's ‘Pork And Beans’ (2008)


'Pork And Beans' is my absolute favourite parenting song. Mathew Cullen, who directed the video for the song (which features a bunch of YouTube celebrities and internet memes) says it’s about ‘the idea of being yourself, of being happy with who you are. That’s the cornerstone of my life philosophy and I want it to resonate with my daughter too. Our family motto is ‘weird and proud!’ so I guess that makes ‘Pork and Beans’ our theme song. It’s a song to play loud and often, to remind you to fly your freak flag high.

No comments:

Post a Comment