Sunday 15 October 2017

Album Review: St.Vincent's 'Masseduction'


2017
13 songs
Length: 41:37
Available to buy on vinyl or CD, Apple Music or Spotify

St.Vincent had been on my radar for awhile now. Some months ago, reading SPIN’s 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time I came across Annie Clark (St.Vincent is Clark’s stage name) at number 93. I made a mental note to check her out. Not long after that, I listened to her critically acclaimed fourth album ‘St.Vincentand my interest was piqued. Then my record club, Vinyl, Me Please, hinted it would be releasing a club edition of St.Vincent’s fifth album ‘Masseduction’ as its November album of the month. This has now been confirmed. ‘Masseduction’ was released publicly last week (well ahead of the Vinyl, Me Please special release), so naturally I was very eager to hear it.

Clark has a knack for making really interesting sounds with her guitar. And they mesh perfectly with a whole host of other sounds to make for some really catchy rhythms. Her songs are never boring, often morphing into different styles part way through. ’Pills,’ is an excellent example of this; beginning with a catchy electro beat, which becomes peppered with Clark’s squalling guitar, before finding a wistfully Bowiesque conclusion.

David Bowie is clearly a major influence on Clark, and the album has a sound reminiscent of Bowie’s 1990’s industrial albums ‘Outside’ and ‘Earthling.’ At that time, Bowie’s work was heavily influenced by Nine Inch Nails, which is another band that springs to mind while listening to ‘Masseduction.’ But this isn’t to say that Clark’s album is a cheap reproduction of something that’s been done before. On the contrary, she wears her influences on her sleeve while adding her own fresh stamp.

Clark gives us elements of synth pop, with retro, chiptune sounds. ‘Sugarboy’ with its pulsing beat, ‘Los Ageless,’ a touch more sultry, and ‘Savior,’ along with the album’s title track, ‘Masseduction,’ both have a somewhat Prince feel about them.

The album also sports some beautiful melancholy ballads. ’Happy Birthday, Johnny,’ with it’s understated piano is an earnest dedication, and ‘New York,’ speaks of personal loss. Both bear striking similarities to Tori Amos in parts. The celestial sound of ‘Slow Disco,’ makes me think of Annie Lennox on the similarly ethereal Eurythmics tune, ‘Miracle of Love.’

‘Masseduction’ is a masterful album. Every track is so interesting and every time I listen, I hear something or make a connection that I hadn’t before. ‘Masseduction’ has inspired me to go back and listen to all of St.Vincent’s albums in depth. Call me a newly minted St.Vincent fan!  I’d say that’s an indication of a successful album.

No comments:

Post a Comment