Tuesday 12 September 2017

Album Review: Raphael Saadiq's 'Stone Rollin''



2011
10 songs
Length: 43:01
Available to buy on vinyl or CD, Apple Music or Spotify

About a month ago, while at work, I got an email from my husband. ‘You should listen to this album,’ it said, ‘on your way home from work tonight. I think you’ll really like it.’ The email included a Google Play link to ‘Stone Rollin’.’ So I listened to it on my hour plus commute. Then I listened to it again. He was right; I did really like it (he knows me so well!) In fact, I liked it so much, I couldn’t get enough of it. I listened to it the next day and the day after that too. I played it all the next weekend. Since then, I’ve listened to ‘Stone Rollin’’ countless times and I own a copy on vinyl.

‘Stone Rollin’’ is the fourth studio album from American R&B singer, songwriter and producer, Raphael Saadiq. Saadiq began his illustrious career touring with Prince as a teenager before becoming the lead vocalist and bassist for the hugely successful 1980’s-90’s R&B group, Tony, Toni, Toné! After they split, he went on to form Lucy Pearl with Dawn Robinson (En Vogue) and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (A Tribe Called Quest). Lucy Pearl only recorded one album. Saadiq has collaborated with many notable artists including Erykah Badu, The Roots, Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie, Ghostface Killah and The Isley Brothers.

‘Stone Rollin’’ builds on the traditional soul style of Saadiq’s previous album ‘The Way I See It,’ to create a melting pot of styles including funk, blues, R&B and old time rock and roll. Every track on this album is an absolute gem and Saadiq delivers each style with perfect execution. The opening track ‘Heart Attack’ is a rollicking, up-tempo earworm with a classic Motown sound and echoes of James Brown. ‘Radio’ gets the vintage R&B rock and roll vibe just right (think Chuck Berry), and the album's title track ‘Stone Rollin’,’ blends electric guitar and some sassy harmonica into a flawless Chicago blues number.

Saadiq’s slower songs are just as good as his energetic ones, incorporating some beautiful and emotive orchestral arrangements. ‘Good Man’ is as gut wrenchingly soulful as they come, while ‘The Answer’ complements Saadiq’s impressive vocal range with a delicate composition of strings. The psychedelic soul tune, ‘Over You’ is my favourite track on the album. It’s a perfect hybrid of R&B, soul and rock and roll that transports me to my happy place every time I hear it. I could seriously listen to it on repeat ALL.DAY.LONG.

Saadiq is a master. ‘Stone Rollin’’ is an overwhelmingly fantastic album with a polished, classic sound that everyone should listen to. In fact, I’m so enthusiastic about this album; I want to give it away! When I bought ‘Stone Rollin’’on vinyl, it came with a free CD copy. I’ll post the CD to the first person to comment below. What are you waiting for? Get to it!

2 comments:

  1. Great article! And, you're right, that's one seriously catchy, ear worm of a song!! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The CD is all yours, I hope you love the album as much as I do :)

      Delete